Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's gonna be okay...


We had a parent teacher conference for Jacob on Tuesday. We were a little nervous about what his teacher was going to say. For those who don't know Jacob he is a "busy" child. I remember the day I had him, I was afraid to sit down in the car because I didn't think he was going to wait until we got to the hospital. He almost didn't, we got to the hospital at 6am and he was here at 6:20am. That should have been my first clue. He started walking at 9 months and has not stopped. He just goes from one thing to the next without a break in between. It's almost as if before he does one thing he already knows the next thing he's going to do.

So anyway, we had no idea what his teacher was going to tell us. I can honestly say I was shocked by what she said. First, she said she has had bigger challenges. Jacob may need reminders but he does respect authority. He likes to talk alot but we already knew that. She said she thinks that we are doing a great job with him. I think that part of me needed to hear that because so many times, especially lately, I feel like I am failing at this mom thing. To hear someone on the outside say that they think you are a good parent was the boost I needed.

But then, who knew being a parent was so hard until you are one and your heart breaks when they do wrong or they hurt and you can't fix it. But somehow every hurt they may bring seems to disappear when they crawl up on your lap and tell you how special you are, that they think you are beautiful and that they love you. My kids are far from perfect but there is one thing I know, they are loved and are loving so maybe instead of looking for someone else to tell me I am doing fine maybe I should just remember that I am the mom God chose just for my kids and if He believes in me maybe I should believe in myself.

1 comment:

Stephanie Appleton said...

I think our two youngest boys are a lot alike. It really is a boost to have someone else give assurance you are doing a good job, especially with a "busy" child!