Friday, December 5, 2008

I don't get it...

The other day I was at McDonalds with my friend Julie. We let our kids play in the play area while we chit chat. Anyway, there was this lady with her granddaughter and she came over to us and asked if we would keep an eye on her while she went to the bathroom!!! Okay?? We both had the same look on our face like, are you serious?? After she left Julie asked me if I would ever do that. No, I wouldn't. But it got us talking about other times something similar has happened. She told me about a time when she was at a local fresh food store and witnessed someone leave kids in the car and go in to shop. She called the police and they were waiting when she got out of the store and this lady thought she did nothing wrong. I was walking out of the grocery store one day, I had one of my kids in the cart and a lady, I didn't know, stopped me and asked me if I would keep an eye on her younger child and her cart full of groceries while she went back into the store and took her older child to the bathroom. She told me that he was just being potty trained and she didn't want him to have an accident. There are a couple people who leave their kids in the car at my son's school while they go pick up their kindergartener. One parks pretty far away and has left her car running. The other day, on the news, there was a story about a lady who left her godchild in the car while she went to "chase a 50 dollar bill" that had blown away??? The child was only left alone 5 minutes, according to her. She is facing charges on child endangerment with up to 6 months in jail. Idiots, that is all I have to say! Don't they watch the news. It wouldn't take long for someone to hop in that car and take those kids. How did that lady know we wouldn't run off with her granddaughter or that I wouldn't hop in my car with that baby and a cart full of groceries? I wonder if they live on the same planet that I live on. I trust very few people with my kids and I can honestly say I have never left them in the car alone or with a complete stranger. I just don't get it...

No comments: