Friday, February 6, 2009

I don't know how you do it?

Sometimes people ask me that.

My answer is simply "I do what I have to." One night we went to see a play in which an old neighbor friend had the lead. He said that when he got the script and felt overwhelmed he thought of the time he asked me how I do it. He then said when he was memorizing his lines he told himself, "I just have to do it."

When it comes to being a mom it was a choice I made. I will not say that I am the best mom or even a great mom. I loose my patience, I yell, and do a lot of things I probably shouldn't. This week my husband has been out of town and I, once again, find myself doing what I have to. I am okay with him not being here because I know it is something he has to do to take care of our family. Even though I was not too happy when he called and told me he was staying longer, I was ready for it. It hasn't been so bad, my youngest brother has stayed here with me all week and has helped out with taking kids to school. Jay is really my cousin but my mom got custody of him as a baby shortly after my youngest brother passed away of leukemia. Anyway, the truth behind it is I like to think that I can do it all by myself and I probably would have. But I have also come to realize that it is okay to ask for help. There are people in my life that are willing to help and I need to except it. Somebody told me just a few weeks ago if people are willing to give then I shouldn't refuse to accept it. The lesson behind it may be for them and not me. They may be learning to give and if it goes unnoticed or unappreciated, they may not want to give anymore. I think it is the same when friends offer to help, if I keep turning them down they will eventually stop asking.

So there, I said it, I am not superwoman. I am just an ordinary person who has the privilege of being a wife and mom but I also have the added bonus of extraordinary friends.

2 comments:

delilah said...

Are you on strike?

Sherry said...

What are you talking about? You have had longer dry spells!