Friday, March 20, 2009

Back when I knew it all...

A funny thing happened to me last night, I was driving home from my mom and dad's house thinking about life and all that has been thrown my way. I turned up the radio and there was a song playing called "Back when I knew it all." I love country music (not everyone in my life shares that same passion but they have adjusted).
There was a time in life when I thought I knew it all. I knew more than everyone from the time I was 15 or 16 to probably 26, I was right and no one was going to tell me any different. But I think that I am "smarter" now than I ever was. I don't mean "book" smart I mean "real life" smart. As a kid, I remember my mom always trying to protect us from everything. If she had her way nothing would ever be hard for us. Now, that I am a mom I find myself protecting my kids but not to the point where they don't learn that life is hard and there are consequences for actions. As a kid you just think your parents are overbearing and they "don't understand" (I know, another song). When you got grounded it was the end of the world. But life lessons really start when you get out in the real world. When you loose someone you love, when you or someone close to you gets bad news about their health, when your marriage starts to fall apart, when your kids get involved in things they shouldn't, that is when you learn. You learn that there are two ways to handle every situation. You can either crumble or you can find a way to stand up and walk through it. I say all this because lately I have been dealing with some things in my life. I am seeing people make the wrong decisions and not wanting to accept the consequences for it. I try to make the right decisions today so that tomorrow I don't have the consequence sometimes I fail but I am still learning.
I am not that same little girl who hated being punished for doing wrong because I know now my parents were teaching me about real life. I just hope that I am teaching my kids life lessons. I pray they grow up to be responsible men and make right decisions. I also hope they never think they are to smart to learn.

No comments: