Wednesday, June 23, 2010

He'll be a butterfly, someday

but for now he is my caterpillar.

"Why?!?!"
Seems to be the word of the month!
"Do you love me?"....why?
"Dad, do you have to go to work?"....why?
"Tyler, am I your buddy?"....why?
"Is it raining outside?"....why?

I don't always have all the answers to his questions but today when he was standing on my feet dancing with me in the kitchen and looked up at me and said,
"Mom, do want me to stay little?"
I knew the answer
"Yes, son, you know that I do."
"Why?"
"Because if you get too big you won't be able to stand on my feet and dance with me."

The day is coming when it will all be a memory. He is going to spread his wings and fly.
I heard this song today and as I fought back tears I thought on my kids...

"You're gonna be"
by Reba McEntire
6lbs and 9oz. lookin' up at me
Like I have all the answers
I hope I have the ones you need
I've never really done this,
now I know what scared is
Sometimes I'll protect you from everything that's wrong
Other times I'll let you just find out on your own
But that's when you'll be growin',
And the whole time I'll be knowin

(chorus)
You're gonna fly, with every dream you chase
You're gonna cry, but know that that's okay
Sometimes life's not fair, but if you hang in there
You're gonna see that sometimes bad is good
We just have to believe things work out like they should
Life has no guarantees, but always loved by me
You're gonna be

I'm afraid you'll have to suffer through some of my mistakes
Lord knows I'll be trying to give you what it takes
What it takes to know the difference
Between getting by and livin'
‘Cause anything worth doing is worth doing all the way
Just know you'll have to live with all the choices that you make
So make sure you're always givin' way more than you're takin'

(chorus)

You're gonna be
Someone's everything
You're gonna see
Just what you are to me
You're gonna fly with every dream you chase
We just have to believe things work out like they should
Life has no guarantees, but always loved by me
You're gonna be
Always loved by me

2 comments:

Cassie said...

wahhhhhh wahhhhh wahhhhh. can't stop bawling...wahhhhhh wahhhhh...sniff...seriously. sobbing UGH

Sherry said...

You are funny!