Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Mom of Boys

When I was a little girl one of my biggest dreams was to have a little girl. I had it all figured out...patent leather shoes, ruffled underpants, pig tails, ribbons and bows. She was going to be beautiful and spoiled rotten...my little girl. Well, life happened and God decided I was going to have boys. When I had Tyler, I knew from the beginning he was a boy and I was fine with it. When I had Jacob, I was still okay. Then, along came Joshua, I was a little sad but I got over it real fast. Then, Isaiah, I thought for sure he was the one, wrong again, but I also got over it. Don't get me wrong I love each one of my boys and after sitting at the hairdresser listening to teenage girls...I am glad I have boys! They have brought me so much joy and I would like to share some of the things I have learned from them:
...HOW TO LAUGH: If you have ever been to my house you will know we laugh a lot. Sometimes it is just a chain reaction, someone starts and everyone else follows.
...HOW TO THROW A FOOTBALL: While I am not crazy about the sport, I might as well accept that it is a part of my life.
...HOW TO BE PATIENT: I always heard you should never pray for patience. I think God puts us in situations that are a test our tolerance. I am tested daily.
...DIRT DOESN'T HURT: This one is still hard for me. I have gotten a lot better. Tyler used to wear white and it stayed white because he wasn't allowed to get dirty. That doesn't happen anymore...I buy dark colors and a lot of Shout!
...HOW TO LIGHTEN UP: I have never been big on strange noises that come from ones body, but back to my first point, sometimes you just gotta laugh! I haven't got to point where you say, "If you can't beat 'em, Join "em!" (and I am not sure I ever will!) But I have relaxed a bit.
...SUPERHEROES: Boy, there are a lot of them. Batman, Robin, Superman, Ironman, Incredible Hulk, Spiderman, Venom, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers...but don't mention Wonder Woman or the pink Power Ranger, they are girls and they have cooties!
...HOW TO HORSEPLAY: There really is no way around it. At one point or another, you will find me on the floor wrestling, giving wedgies, or tickling. Playing monster or horsie, it's all part of our life.
...BUMPS, BLOOD, AND BRUISES HAPPEN: This is another hard one for me. I pass out at the sight of blood and I can't take out a splinter without feeling woozy.
...HOW TO LOVE,
...HOW TO NURTURE,
...SELFLESSNESS,
the list could go on. I don't know why God has chose this life for me. I wouldn't change it if I could. My kids are healthy and happy and that is all I can ask for because that is all that matters.
I know someday I will get that little girl. My babies will have babies sometime, hopefully not for a long time. Then, I will be able to comb her hair, use ribbons and bows, dress her in pink, and paint her nails. But until then, I am going to enjoy the boys God has given me.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

well put -- from this mommy of 3 boys-- I can soo relate!!

marcia said...

:-)!