Monday, March 28, 2011

Next...

When you start going to back to church it can be overwhelming, there are so many of them. Where do you start?
Mandy and I went to that church for awhile. We didn't really feel a connection. Sunday after Sunday, we came and went. We didn't build relationships, we just attended. We weren't sure if it was the church for us.
Then one day, my cousin invited me to a Mary Kay party. I wasn't crazy about it because I am not really a big make up person. When she told me her pastor's wife was the consultant, I was even more hesitant. She wouldn't give up, so I gave in and went. I had a good time talking with some of the people from her church. When I was talking to the pastor's wife, she asked me where we were going to church. I explained to her that I was tired of going to a church for months and no one knew even our names. She invited us to her church the next morning. I told her I wasn't sure what I was going to do.
The next morning, I decided I would try her church. After all, it was five minutes from home and I didn't have to go back if I didn't like it. You can bet I did the same thing on the way to church. I tried to get out of it until the very last second, "God, if I walk in there and she doesn't remember my name, I AM NOT going back to this church!" Usually, I am sure God doesn't like ultimatums but He must have wanted me there. I walked in the door and Jan came up to me, hugged me, and said, "I am so glad you decided to come, Sherry." She remembered my name sometimes it's the little things that mean so much.
Her husband, Bob, was a very good pastor. He spoke about things that pertained to everyday life. He often would bring lawn mowers or various other power tools in to make his point. Every lesson had a prop and a good message behind it. I remember he said, "To solve a problem you must first eliminate the source." I don't know why, it seems so simple and it's common sense but I use it still. When I find myself trying to solve a problem, I now find myself wondering 'what is the source of this problem and how can I get rid of it?'
We got pretty involved in that church, Awana Clubs, Vacation Bible School, nursery, and even joined bible studies. It seemed as though I found a good church but, did God have more? Could it be that I was lead there for some reason I didn't know yet? I still wasn't sure what it was but I decided I liked that church and I was going to stay.

to be continued...

No comments: